Monday, November 24, 2008

Polar Express vs. Polarization

Polar Express
I really enjoyed watching the movie Polar Express with my boys this weekend. At 3 years old, they're really grasping the Santa concept to which my better half and I are only too keen to exploit. Take for example the whole section where the "naughty" alert goes off on "Stephen" who has just put gum in his sister's hair.. worse, he actually denies doing it! The boys call him "naughty Stephen" and we are playing the whole naughty vs. nice concept to the max right now as it's nice to have some additional leverage for good behavior! Good quality leverage such as "you better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout I'm telling you why..." is hard to find for 3 year olds, trust me.

Polarization

Quite different, but similar to the spirit of the Polar Express where "seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see." is the sense of polarization I feel in the USA since the 2008 election season. Now while I can't recognize or see a racist, bigot, or ultra right Christian mercenary necessarily by sight, I know now more than ever before that they are out there in large numbers. Some of them would wish harm on president elect Obama and those that support him. That is very polarizing to me... and I can safely say that those people are decidedly "naughty" and are deserving of NOTHING FOR CHRISTMAS!!

I only hope that Santa has been watching.

No comments: